Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Meal and...Tres Leches!

I guess my savory palmiers weren't that bad, as you can see my aunt caught in the act of snacking on them here. (Sidenote: the present on my lap from my cousin, Darren, here? John Besh's cookbook. Expect to see those recipes on here soon!)

Finally we sat down to dinner. Here's a snapshot. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

However, we definitely saved the best for last. Tres leches is far and away one of my favorite desserts of all time. Heck, my wedding cake was a tres leches cake. Yet I have always been afraid to try it myself. I have had dry tres leches cake before, and it is nothing nice. The first rule of tres leches is it has to be dense, soaked and full of rich dairy love. So I found this recipe in a recent Food & Wine, and despite my doubts, it was quite possibly one of the best desserts I've ever made.

Mmmm....what is not to love cake soaking in evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream topped off with rum?

No comments:

Post a Comment