Sunday, August 23, 2009

Plantain yummy-ness

As Jeff is allergic to shellfish (major bummer, but I'm allergic to watermelon, so I guess we're even), I chose to make Chicken Skewers with Cumin. I had him marinate the chicken in Babette's Meat & Poultry Marinade while I was at work, and then I grilled them on my grill pan and topped them off with Babette's sauce (which calls for sunflower oil, which I substituted with vegetable oil, cumin, garlic, cilantro and lime juice).


But the best part of the meal was the Yellow Banana Bake. Luckily, my grocery store carries a good variety of Caribbean products, and ripe plantains were not all that hard to find. This delicious concoction consists of sliced ripe plantains soaked with a bechamel sauce with cheese on top (hence my quest for gruyere), all baked together. Yum yum yum. Here are some pics.



Slicing up some plantains:





Whipping up a bechamel (sounds fancy, right? It's really not hard!!!):




My banana bake out of the oven:





Here's the finished meal, all plated and ready to be savored at about 11 PM. I feel asleep 30 minutes later.


No comments:

Post a Comment